Wednesday, October 1, 2008

An Emancipation Proclamation

Yeldah --

Jennifer Hudson? PHD-lite? I don't know what "blog" means to you, Yeldah, but it does NOT mean that you can talk about actors or, or black people - that's blasphemy, for Christ's sake.

But alas, I must rebut. Jennifer Hudson Day? Consider this: When Oprah, mayor of Chicago (open to interpretation), declared March 6th Jennifer Hudson Day, she was positioning Jennifer as the newest American icon, for on March 6, 1875, the Supreme Court ruled that people of African descent were not and could never be citizens of the United States. That's Dred Scott v. Sanford. But now, March 6th is Jennifer Hudson Day. And Jennifer, former BK employee and vocal extraordinaire, is saying "I object" to Sanford.

So she might have worked at Burger King (but c'mon - have you tried their chicken fries!), she may not watch Sex and the City (but who does? the show sucks...), and she may not believe in drugs (which I do find questionable - what about Fen-Phen, Jenny?) but I think you should pull her out of the barrel anyway and let her roam free.

As I have argued, this is an issue of abolition. "Free Jennifer," I declare.

And I do declare.

No comments: