Thursday, September 4, 2008

H2O

Yesterday, I tried to buy a bottle of water from one of those street stands. I walked up to the guy, who was busily wiping down the surfaces of his lil cart. I figured he didn't see I was there, so I cleared my throat and said "Hi sir?"

Nothin

"Sir, I'd like to purchase a water?"

Not a thing

"Ummm, hello? Sir?? I'd like a water?"

NO ANSWER. NO EYE CONTACT. Noooothing.

(under my breath and with sass) "Forget it."

The second I turned to walk away, suddenly he was VERY eager to sell me a bottle of water: "Miss! Miss! No, no, wait!! Noooooo..."

I stared him down and shook my head as I walked past, feeling totally vindicated. You don't want my money?? FINE. I'LL JUST GO TO ONE OF THE OTHER NINETEEN BILLION WATER STANDS ON THIS ISLAND.

...six blocks later, i was still looking for a bottle of water and feeling a little embarassed. I finally had to buy one at food emporium.

So my question:

Have I become a total Manhattanite, New York bitch? Or am I just a defender of my own (and often delicate) self respect, dammit? He probably could have used my water-money more than I could have used my "so there!" moment. But at what point are we big apple dwellers allowed to assert ourselves without falling into the I'm-a-hardened-cold-person new york stereotype?

The whole experience made me feel like I was...wait for it...thirsting for more.

No comments: